Aims: To present the story of the Ugly Duckling
Pupil Language: I’m all alone. – Where can I go? – Look at the ice, – Look at the snow.
Teacher Language: Look at the Ugly Ducking. – It’s cold. – What’s this? – It’s snow. – Look at the fish jump!
Extra Materials: Photocopies of activity story page (Extension).
Beginning the lesson
- Wait by the door and greet the children as they arrive.
- (An activity to revise the vocabulary of the story.)
Tell the children to try to recall the last episode of the story (p. 43) and ask: How many animals? (Five). Then ask children to name all the animals from the story. (Rabbit, cat, dog, mouse, Ugly Duckling.)
Presentation & Practice
- (Activities to present the story.)
Draw a large 55 on the board. Point to it, mime and say: Open your books at page fifty-five!
- Hold up your book. Point to the Ugly Duckling and say: Look at the Ugly Ducking. It’s cold (miming the action). Point to the snow and ask: What’s this? Say: It ‘s snow. Children repeat, chorally and individually. Do the same for the word ice.
- Play the cassette/CD. Children listen. Play the cassette/CD again and pause after each line for children to repeat, chorally and individually.
Ugly Duckling: I ’m all alone.
Where can I go?
Look at the ice,
Look at the snow!
- Teach the phrases: I ’m all alone. Where can I go? Allow children some time to practise the phrases.
- Ask children to mime the Ugly Ducking shivering and act out the dialogue.
Child 1: I ‘m all alone.
Child 2: Where can I go? etc
Before going into class
Photocopy the corresponding activity page of the story (one per child).
- Hand out a photocopy to each child. Explain the activity. Allow children some time to complete the task. Check children’s answers.
Ending the lesson
- Say while miming: I ’m cold! Invite the children to do the same. Then, smile and say: I ’m happy! Invite the children to do the same. Follow the same procedure with I ’m sad, I ’m hot. Explain the game. The children walk around in a circle. Say a sentence, e.g. I ’m cold! The children repeat and mime being cold. Keep changing the instructions.
Открыть всю книгу