Aims: To talk about pets and facial features.
Pupil Language: Eyes – ears – mouth – nose – I’ve got a … – Tommy’s got … .
Teacher Language: What has Tommy got?
Extra Materials: Flashcards (Unit 10) – Flashcards and picture cards (eyes, ears, mouth, nose) – Sheets of paper.
Beginning the lesson
- Wait by the door and greet the children as they arrive.
- (An activity to revise the vocabulary from Unit 10.)
Pin up the flashcards from Unit 10 (pets, cat, dog, rabbit, mouse, tortoise, duck, house). Put the house flashcard in the middle and around it the animal flashcards. Say: This is Nanny’s … elicit house point to the pets and say: These are Nanny’s … elicit: pets. Then point to the dog flashcard and say: This is Danny the … elicit: dog. Repeat the same procedure with all the pets.
- Song: Play the song We’re at Nanny’s country house … from Unit 10. Invite children to sing along.
Presentation & Practice
- Flashcards (eyes, ears, mouth, nose)
(Activities to present and practise the vocabulary of the lesson.)
Pin up the flashcards (eyes, ears, mouth, nose), one at a time, and say the appropriate words. Children repeat, chorally and individually. Ask children to take out their picture cards (eyes, ears, mouth, nose). Call out the items in random order. Children listen and hold up the corresponding picture card.
- Draw a large 56 on the board. Point to it, mime and say: Open your books at page fifty-six!