Aims: To present the story of the Ugly Duckling
Pupil Language: You look so cold! – You look so sad! – Where’s your mum? – Where’s your dad?
Teacher Language: Open your books. – Is the Ugly Duckling alone? – Who’s this?
Extra Materials: Photocopies of activity story page (Extension).
Beginning the lesson
- Wait by the door and greet the children as they arrive.
- (An activity to revise the vocabulary of the story.)
Tell the children to try to recall the last episode of the story (p. 55) and ask: Is the Ugly Duckling alone? (Yes). etc
Presentation & Practice
- (Activities to present the story.)
Draw a large 59 on the board. Point to it, mime and say: Open your books at page fifty-nine!
- Hold up your book. Point to the boy and ask:
Teacher: Who’s this?
Child: A boy. etc
- Play the cassette/CD. Children listen. Play the cassette/CD again and pause after each line for children to repeat, chorally and individually.
Boy: You look so cold!
You look so sad!
Where’s your mum?
Where’s your dad?
- Say the dialogue again and mime an action (shivering). Help children respond: You look so cold! Where’s your mum? etc
Before going into class
Photocopy the corresponding activity page of the story (one per child).
- Hand out a photocopy to each child. Explain the activity. Allow children some time to complete the task. Check children’s answers.
Ending the lesson
- Ask children to draw a picture of a sad and cold Ugly Duckling. Have them present their drawings to the class. The rest of the children say:
You look so cold!
You look so sad! etc
Открыть всю книгу