Aims: To express ability.
Pupil Language: Run – jump – climb – sausages – tree – Kitty can … – Danny can’t … – Yes, (he can) – No, (he can’t.)
Teacher Language: Can Kitty run?
Extra Materials: Flashcards (Unit 11) – Flashcards and picture cards (run, jump, climb, sausages, tree).
Beginning the lesson
- Wait by the door and greet the children as they arrive.
- (An activity to revise the vocabulary from Unit 11.)
Hand out the flashcards of Unit 11 (eyes, ears, nose, mouth) to children. Teacher points to parts of his/her face and children hold up the appropriate flashcard and say the word.
Teacher: (pointing to nose)
Child: (holding up nose flashcard) Nose!
- Song: Play the song Here comes a fly … from Unit 11. Invite children to sing along.
Presentation & Practice
- Flashcards (run, jump, climb, sausages, tree)
(Activities to present and practise the vocabulary of the lesson.)
Pin up the flashcards (run, jump, climb, sausages, tree), one at a time, and say the appropriate words. Children repeat, chorally and individually. Ask children to take out their picture cards (run, jump, climb, sausages, tree). Call out the items in random order. Children listen and hold up the corresponding picture card.
- Draw a large 60 on the board. Point to it, mime and say: Open your books at page sixty!