Aims: To present the story of the Ugly Duckling.
Pupil Language: Look at you now! – You’re big, not small. – And you’re not ugly. – Not at all! – It’s time to go! – It’s summertime! – Goodbye, dear friend. – Have a good time! – swan.
Teacher Language: Open your books. – Look at the Ugly Duckling! – It’s a swan. – It’s beautiful! – Is the Ugly Duckling big?
Extra Materials: Photocopy of activity story page (Extension).
Beginning the lesson
- Wait by the door and greet the children as they arrive.
- (An activity to revise the vocabulary of the story.)
Tell the children to try to recall the last episode of the story (p. 63). Ask:
Teacher: Is the Ugly Duckling alone?
Teacher: Who is in the picture?
Child: The boy, Mum, Dad. etc
Presentation & Practice
- (Activities to present the story.)
Draw a large 71 on the board. Point to it, mime and say: Open your books at page seventy-one!
- Hold up your book. Say: No ice, no snow. It’s summertime! Children repeat, chorally and individually. Point to the swan and say: Look at the Ugly Ducking! It ‘s a swan. It’s beautiful! Ask the children: Is the Ugly Duckling big? (Yes). Is it ugly? (No).
- Play the cassette/CD. Children listen. Play the cassette/CD again and pause after each line for children to repeat, chorally and individually.
Boy: Look at you now!
You’re big, not small.
And you’re not ugly.
Not at all!
It ’s time to go!
It ’s summertime!
Goodbye, dear friend.
Have a good time!
- Teach the following phrases: You’re big, not small. And you’re not ugly. It’s time to go! Goodbye, dear friend. Divide the class into groups and assign one phrase per group. Allow the groups enough time to practise their phrases. Then the groups act out the phrases, using both words and gestures.
Hand out a photocopy to each child. Explain the activity. Allow children some time to complete the task. Check children’s answers.
Ending the lesson
- Have children draw the Ugly Duckling that turned into a beautiful swan. Allow them some time to complete their work. Once they finish they present their drawings to the class.
Look at me. I’m big.
I’m a beautiful swan!
Открыть всю книгу