- (listening comprehension activities)
Set the scene by asking children what they can see in the pictures illustrating the dialogue.
(Picture 1 – pointing to cake)
What’s this? (pointing to Daddy)
Who’s this? etc
- Next, mime and say: Listen and look,Play the cassette/CD. Children listen and look at the pictures illustrating the dialogue.
Lulu: Mummy! Daddy!
Mummy: Hello, Larry, Hello, Lulu.
Daddy: Here’s a cake for you!
Larry & Lulu: Thank you!
Larry: Mummy, please sit down!
Mummy: Thank you, Larry!
Lulu: Sit down, Daddy, Chuckles, stand up!
Larry: Nanny, Lulu & Larry: Look at Chuckles! Oh, Chuckles!
- Explain the listening task. Point to the third picture and ask (looking puzzled): What’s missing? What is it? Let’s listen. Play the cassette/CD. Children listen and draw. Allow children some time to complete the task. Check children’s answers. (cake)
- Play the dialogue again with pauses for children to listen and repeat. Check children’s pronunciation and intonation.
- Extension: Hold up your book to the class. Say the dialogue and point to the pictures in turn. Repeat, this time inviting children to complete your sentences.
Children: Daddy! etc
Ending the lesson
- (An activity to revise the words from Unit 3a).
Ask children to use plasticine to make a cake or draw one. Children, in pairs, act out short exchanges. Demonstrate this yourself first with a child.
Child 1: Here’s a red cake for you.
Child 2: A red cake! Thank you!
Открыть всю книгу