Aims: To Identify and name school items. To talk about location.
Pupil Language: Pencil case – rubber – book – schoolbag – desk – bus – in – on – (It’s) in the (book).
Teacher Language: Where’s the rubber? – Where are Larry’s pencils?
Extra Materials: Picture cards (Unit 4) – Flashcards and picture cards (pencil case, rubber, book, schoolbag, desk, bus, in, on).
Beginning the lesson
- Wait by the door and greet the children as they arrive.
- (An activity to revise the vocabulary from Unit 4.)
Children put picture cards, picture side down, on their desk. Teacher goes around the class, chooses a card, and asks the child to turn it over and name it.
- Song: Play the song One boy goes to school … from Unit 4. Invite children to sing along.
Presentation & Practice
- Flashcards (pencil case, rubber, book, schoolbag, desk, bus, in, on)
- (Activities to present and practise the vocabulary of the lesson.)
Pin up the flashcards, one at a time, and say the appropriate words. Children repeat, chorally and individually. Ask children to take out their picture cards (pencil case, rubber, book, schoolbag, desk, bus, in, on). Call out the items in random order. Children listen and hold up the corresponding picture card.
Draw a large 24 on the board. Point to it, mime and say: Open your books at page twenty-four!