Aims: To present the story of the Ugly Duckling
Pupil Language: I’m a duckling – What are you? – I can’t fly at all, – Can you? – I’m a dog – I can run all day! – But you’re so ugly. – Go away!
Teacher Language: Open your books. – Who’s this? Look at the butterfly!
Extra Materials: Photocopies of activity story page (Extension).
Beginning the lesson
- Wait by the door and greet the children as they arrive.
- (An activity to revise the vocabulary of the story.)
Tell the children to try to recall the last episode of the story (p. 23). Ask:
Teacher: Can the cat fly?
Presentation & Practice
- (Activities to present the story.)
Draw a large 27 on the board. Point to it, mime and say: Open your books at page twenty-seven!
- Hold up your book. Point and say: Look at the butterfly! Children repeat, chorally and individually. Point to the dog and ask: Who’s this? (dog) Repeat this time pointing to the Ugly Duckling.
- Play the cassette/CD. Children listen. Play the cassette/CD again and pause after each line for children to repeat, chorally and individually.
Ugly Duckling: I ’m a duckling.
What are you?
I can’t fly at all,
Dog: I ’m a dog.
I can run all day!
But you’re so ugly.
- Hold up your book, point to the picture of the dog and say: A dog can run. Children repeat, chorally and individually.
- Have children work in pairs and assign the roles of Ugly Duckling and dog. Demonstrate yourself first.
Teacher: I ‘m a duckling,
What are you?
Child: I ‘m a dog.
Teacher: I can’t fly,
Child: I can run!
Before going into class
Photocopy the corresponding activity page of the story (one per child).
- Hand out a photocopy to each child. Explain the activity. The children look and tick the items found in the picture. Allow children some time to complete the task. Check children’s answers.
Ending the lesson
- Invite a child to choose one of the animals from the story (without telling anyone) and come to the front of the class. The rest of the children ask questions to guess the animal. Demonstrate yourself first.
Child 1: Can it run?
Child 2: No.
Child 3: Can it play?
Child 2: Yes.
Child 3: Cat.
Открыть всю книгу