Aims: To present the story of the Ugly Duckling
Pupil Language: I’m a duckling – What are you? – I can’t fly at all, – Can you? – I’m a mouse – I can climb all day! – But you’re so ugly. – Go away!
Teacher Language: Open your books. – What can a rabbit do?
Extra Materials: Photocopies of activity story page (Extension).
Beginning the lesson
- Wait by the door and greet the children as they arrive.
- (An activity to revise the vocabulary of the story.)
Tell the children to try to recall the last episode of the story (p. 31). Ask:
Teacher: What can a rabbit do?
Presentation & Practice
- (Activities to present the story.)
Draw a large 39 on the board. Point to it, mime and say: Open your books at page thirty-nine!
- Hold up your book. Point to the mouse and say: Look! A mouse. The children repeat, chorally and individually. Then ask: What can a mouse do? Say: Climb. The children repeat, chorally and individually. Repeat this time pointing to the Ugly Duckling.
- Play the cassette/CD. Children listen. Play the cassette/CD again and pause after each line for children to repeat, chorally and individually.
Ugly Duckling: I ’m a duckling.
What are you?
I can’t fly at all,
Mouse: I ’m a mouse.
I can climb all day!
But you’re so ugly.
- Have children work in pairs and assign the roles of Ugly Duckling and mouse. Demonstrate yourself first.
Teacher: I ‘m a duckling,
What are you?
Child: I ‘m a mouse.
Teacher: I can’t fly at all,
Child: I can climb all day!
Before going into class
Photocopy the corresponding activity page of the story (one per child).
- Hand out a photocopy to each child. Explain the activity. The children look at the silhouette and find the matching mouse. Allow children some time to complete the task. Check children’s answers.
Ending the lesson
- The children come to the front of the class in pairs. One child says and mimes an action and the other child mirrors the action. Encourage them to use different animals (duckling, cat, dog, rabbit, mouse).
Child 1: I ‘m a rabbit. I can jump.
Child 2: I can jump, too.
Открыть всю книгу