Aims: To describe toys, to talk about size.
Pupil Language: Train – plane – big – small – Larry’s got a (plane).
Teacher Language: Has Larry got a TV? – What’s Larry got?
Extra Materials: Poster (Unit 3) – Flashcards and picture cards (train, plane, big/small) – Sheets of paper.
Beginning the lesson
- Wait by the door and greet the children as they arrive.
- (An activity to revise the vocabulary of Unit 8.)
Put up the poster of Module 3. Point to each item (toys, kite, ball, teddy bear, boat, doll, car), one by one, and say either the corresponding or a wrong word. Ask the children for verification.
Teacher: (holding ball flashcard) ball
Child 1: Yes
Teacher: (holding doll flashcard) kite
Child 2: No etc
- Song: Play the song Toys, toys everywhere … from Unit 8. Invite children to sing along.
Presentation & Practice
- Flashcards (train, plane, big/small)
(Activities to present and practise the vocabulary of the lesson.)
Pin up the flashcards, one at a time, and say the appropriate words. Children repeat, chorally and individually. Ask children to take out their picture cards (train, plane, big/small). Call out the items in random order. Children listen and hold up the corresponding picture card.
- Draw a large 44 on the board. Point to it, mime and say: Open your books at page forty-four!